Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Gentleness



Gentleness is:

Treading lightly on the earth.

A line in nature's liturgy.

A way to be,
a way to show up,
a gateway into "the peace of God, which transcends all understanding."

A fruit of the Spirit.

Interwoven into the fabric of a spiritually mature person's life who is kind and loving.

Mysteriously emerges from times of
silence
solitude
and stillness.

A path.

Dictionary definitions:
"Considerate or kindly in disposition; amiable and tender."
"Not harsh or severe; mild and soft."

- - -

Gentleness plays a major role in contemplation.
As many times as I turn away,
or get distracted from abiding,
I can return.....gently.

- - -

Gentleness is not found in the many expressions of my false self.

Society is hooked on violence and I am complicit in so many ways.

Note to self re: gentleness - - do no harm!

Being driven and obsessed is not gentle.
Gentleness is like an older,
wiser, travel companion who
by their very presence
reminds me to slow down
and enjoy the journey.

- - -



If I want to get in touch (with gentleness) I can:

Observe and learn from my mentors the trees as they simply stand tall in the winter mist.

Be gentle.

Walk softly
Walk aware
Walk as if I am on holy ground.

Feel cold air on my face as it touches my cheeks like a feather.

Let the sweet smell of mountain air lightly touch the inside of my nose and surprise me with its heavenly aroma.

Stop once and a while to abide in naked being.

Watch cottonwood float through the air in springtime.

"Consider the Lillie's of the field, how they grow. They toil not, neither do they spin."





3 comments:

Rene Lafaut said...

I love the link between gentleness and walking softly... our body's image in movement and projection do mirror our hearts/minds dispositions... something that can't lie... except to be covered up by an excellent actor! Gentleness (meekness) a beatitude needs to be nurtured through our faith and believing to receiving... as the lies shed away and correct thinking are wrought through relationship with God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Gentleness can always grow for non-deity beings because we will never arrive... there is no line on the horizon!

Rod Janz said...

Thanks for adding to the conversation Rene.

Julett Clare said...

Gentleness was my word for last year - in retrospect, I think now I did not do justice to my word - but instead of beating myself to death, will be gentle and add it to my word for this year - explore. Explore and gentleness will be good companions. If it is alright with you, I will print a copy of this word to place on bulletin board above my computer. As Jesuits like to say, I think i need to "chew" on it for awhile.