Sunday, April 11, 2010

I went back to the woods today


I went back to the woods today
To the ancient moss covered trees with their branches waving in the wind
To the ducks swimming silently on the black water of the pond
To the rain drops that eventually started to fall and make ripples on the surface of the water
To the peace below the distant road noise
To the birds singing their early spring songs
And to witness the buds on young trees ready to burst.

It had been a while
The door had been shut to this place
Today it was open
I didn't ask why, or ask for permission
I just went in
Without expectation or desire
Just to be
To enjoy

I had to learn to let go of this place, too
To allow Mystery to be Mystery and to be open to it everywhere
To be aware and be grateful for every breath no matter where I am
To be present to Presence in all places and every circumstance

I am learning to find Beauty, and to surrender to Love,
In the mundane and un-spectacular
In my living room and in cleaning out the cat box
In the car and in cutting the lawn
In negotiations and in making a sale
In traffic and in waiting for loved ones to arrive
and of course...in the woods

No comments: